6.11.06

Agra: Praying. Uttar Pradesh


Morning. A woman praying to gods alongside the Sacred Yamuna river, one of the seven sacred rivers in the country, during the "Ganga" festival in Agra.

Agra came to its own when Shah Jahan ascended to the throne of the Mughal Empire. He marked the zenith of Mughal architecture, when he built the Taj in memory of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal.
The monument is magnificent, and is usually photographed from the front. I thought that changing the perspective and including the people in the river in the morning light (6.50a.m.), might give it a more real, lively look.

3 commentaires:

Gill a dit…

I have never seen this view before. Now India is on my list of places to see before I die!
xo
Gillian

Davidlind a dit…

Wonderful photo. My favorite. Everything moves for me towards her hands as she prays.

prem a dit…

My favorite place. nice image